Just got back from Chicago where I, seven Pipe Dream editors, and 2,300 others attended the ACP/CMA National College Media Convention. I loved Chicago and it was a nice break from daily life in Binghamton. I’ve shared some of my notes on Google Drive, but here are a few highlights:
- Fusion Tables - Chicago-based developer Derek Eder gave a great talk about Google’s Fusion Tables and Open Data.
- Social Media Presence - The presenters told interviewed professors on campus and created playlists of their top 10 songs using Spotify. They also recommended posting quotes from articles on Pinterest.
- Website Critique - The critique went well, but the advisor pointed out that we need to improve the about page, add a commenting policy, and work on making our top articles more prominent by increasing the headline font size.
- Lunch with Roman - Grabbed lunch with Roman from Camayak and bounced around some ideas about a live blogging platform I plan to develop next fall. Cant wait to start working on it!
And the touristy attractions:
- Ate amazing deep dish pizza in the downtown area, incredible Chinese food at Lao Sze Chuan, and great popcorn at Garret’s.
- Had fun at the bean and rode the ferris wheel at the Navy Pier.
- Went for an amazing 10 mile run on the Lakefront Trail.
Chicago was a blast! Unfortunately there were few advanced web development sessions and that’s something I hope they change for the next conference. It would be great to have more round-table discussions for web editors to meet and share best practices.
Regardless, I’ll hopefully be heading to San Francisco in late February for the mid-winter conference!